Following Senate voice votes on Friday afternoon, the Department of Homeland Security has three newly-confirmed officials: Ralph Basham as head of Customs and Border Protection, David Paulison as head of FEMA, and David Norquist as the Department’s Chief Financial Officer. These three confirmations, along with the change of command at the Coast Guard from Thomas Collins to Thad Allen on Thursday, go a long way to plugging the leadership gap at the top of the Department. Sec. Chertoff also named DHS CIO Scott Charbo as Acting Undersecretary for Management, which temporarily plugs this gap.
For those keeping track, here are the key remaining unfilled senior positions at DHS:
1. Undersecretary for Science and Technology (no nominee yet; Jeff Runge acting in this role)
2. Undersecretary for Management (no nominee yet; CIO Scott Charbo now acting in this role)
3. Secret Service director (Mark Sullivan has been nominated as Basham’s replacement but not yet confirmed).
4. Assistant Secretary for Cybersecurity and Telecommunications (no nominee yet; Andy Purdy is acting director)
5. Assistant Secretary for Legislative Affairs (no appointee yet)
6. Assistant Secretary, Office of Operations Coordination (no nominee yet).
7. Chief Privacy Officer (no nominee yet; Maureen Cooney acting in this role).