May 3, 2010

if…

Filed under: General Homeland Security — by Christopher Bellavita on May 3, 2010

From within a weekend of floods, tornadoes, water main breaks, a national recall of children’s medicine, an oil spill larger than Puerto Rico, and a car bomb in Times Square, a friend sent me this brief message from a New York City police officer.

——————————-

Last night I responded to the IED in Times Square. During that time [a colleague 3,000 miles away] fed me [via Twitter] tidbits that were genuinely helpful.

Upon reflecting on the night’s happenings I can say that 99% of our homeland security practitioners i.e. the american people were cooperative and helpful.

NYPD has suspected that Times Square would be targeted.  Much of our counterterrorism efforts were focused on it.

I was detailed to Times Square the previous two nights (Thurdsay and Friday).  Both nights were warm late spring nights with thousands of tourists enjoying Broadway and the attractions.  (By the way the eye candy was awesome!)  I couldn’t help imagine what chaos would ensue in the event of an attack.

I was not detailed to Times Square on Saturday and first learned of the attack in a text from my teen aged  son who was in Times Square at the time. That was followed by successive tweets.

Minutes later my unit was ordered to respond. During Saturday night’s events we – NYPD – were convinced that a secondary  device would detonate.

I woke up late Sunday and my wife dragged me to church (I thought about blowing it off).

I found myself in the same pew I sat in on Wednesday, September 12th and just thought about what might have happened.

Thanks for the tweets. I wish I had had them on September 11 when my unit was in the dark about what was happening in the Pentagon and Pennsylvania

I don’t believe we have seen the last of al Qaeda.

May 3, 2010 @ 1:09 am

Yes we are all first responders but thanks so much for those whose knowledge, skill, courage willingly put themselves in harms way to protect US.

Comment by John Tieso

May 3, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

The possibility of these types of attacks continues to strike fear into the hearts and minds of the American public. Looking over articles and interviews of the past day across the country, and in the major media, it certainly seems that there is a feeling that attacks will get more frequent–and of this type–as time goes on. So far, we have been lucky–without a major detonation–but we cannot assume this will continue to happen–or ne cessarily be confined to the largest of cities.

i certainly applaud the NYPD for their cool, decisive, and efficent response in Times Square–you all should get the Medal of Freedom.

Comment by Desert Dweller

May 3, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

Ah, the value of informal social networking is proven again. I am pleased that there continue to be practitioners who want to share information rather than covet it or be paralyzed by bureaucracy. Just imagine if this sort of exchange had taken place within the intelligence community before the attack! I have a hunch that if it had this police officer’s son and many others would not have been in harms way. I know Bellavita is very smart and savvy, but it doesn’t take a PhD to figure out how to share without disclosing sources. Why can’t our intelligence folk improve in this regard?

Comment by Citizen Joe

May 4, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

We have seen much improvement in communications among various agencies employing the latest in technology and We were proud this past weekend in seeing the tireless effort in dedication by so many, so coordinated, so committed to preserve our dignity, our way of Life where We here on Main Street also proved our concern in our display in vigil showing that we, too understand that whether from within or from yonder, We will stand strong and support those who are willing to place their Life in front of ours to safeguard the fabric of this great nation and people!

The far reach of the NYPD and its astute leadership w/much intel experience did their job and has well established police and security relationships far across the pond reciprocal in sharing pertinent information. Kudos to you all!

It is obvious that everyone took pride in their professional resources and worked together sending a message in clarity stating that idiots like this and the more sophisticated must understand that We have little tolerance for such intended cold blooded murder. It is a pity that so many are deceived by those seeking to deal a blow to humanity which truly strives to overcome dysfunction and despite issues and individuals choose to bring fear and even death to good people, charitable people….

This is at least the 12th substantial effort against us thwarted by preparedness and pride. Good versus evil. God is witness to all and again his hand protected those who stood up and apprehended the thugs who sought to do harm to other human beings who are God’s creation with no other given the hand to harm another so….

God Bless you all – thank you – God Bless our Republic!

Joe Citizen
aka Christopher Tingus
A Proud American
Main Street USA
Harwich, MA 02645

Comment by buy antabuse without prescription

June 13, 2010 @ 7:48 am

Blood [i]the cost of aldactone medication[/i] should inhibit radioiodinated at the catatonia of the delt interval; if appendalith is ungodlly satisfactory, eyars may denie tried on a deeper wtih or noticably kaliuretic skimming regimen.

Comment by Vance Guidi

August 6, 2010 @ 1:27 am

You gave fantastic honest ideas here. I performed a research on the issue and discovered almost all peoples will agree with your blog. It’s the needles they don’t like, and who can argue with that.