On Friday, the Naval Postgraduate School’s Center for Homeland Defense and Security — sponsored by the Department of Homeland Security — will graduate its 27th and 28th master’s degree class.
I am posting the titles of their master’s degree theses to illustrate the range of topics covered.
Many of the theses — adding to what we know, think, and believe about homeland security — will be available through the NPS Dudley Knox library in a few weeks.
- The Significance Of The Fire Service Culture As An Impediment To Effective Leadership In The Homeland Security Environment.
- National Guard Civil Support Teams: Success, Sustainment And The Challenges In Between.
- Identifying Best Practices In The Dissemination Of Intelligence To First Responders In The Fire And EMS Services.
- Countering Violent Extremism, The Use Of Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Creating Unity Of Effort In The Maritime Domain: The Case For The Maritime Operational Threat Response (MOTR) Plan.
- Toward A Common Standard For Law Enforcement Response To WMD Hazmat Incidents.
- Emerging Threat To America: Non-State Entities Fighting Fourth Generation Warfare In Mexico.
- Homeland Security Within State Departments Of Agriculture: Success Factors And Barriers To An Effective Security Program.
- Where Do I Start? Decision-Making in Complex Novel Environments.
- State And Local Homeland Security Professionals: Who Are They And What Do They Do?
- Improving Disaster Emergency Communication.
- Can Local Police And Sheriff Departments Provide A Higher Rate Of Homeland Security Coordination And Collaboration Through Consolidation Of Police Services?
- Alternate Care Sites For The Management Of Medical Surge In Disasters.
- Medicine For The Masses: Strategies To Minimize The Consequences Of A Terrorist Attack During Mass Gatherings.
- Formal Critiques And After Action Reports From Conventional Emergencies: Tools For Homeland Security Training And Education.
- Filling Gaps In Interconnected Passenger Rail Security.
- Arctic Region Policy: Information Sharing Model Options.
- The Engaged And Empowered Community: An Essential Ingredient Of Homeland Security.
- Before The Emergency: A Framework For Evaluating Emergency Preparedness Alternatives At Higher Education Institutions.
- Striking The Right Balance: Fusion Centers And Privacy.
- Impact Of Incentives And Requirements On Collaborative Groups.
- Strategic Policy For Pandemic Vaccine Distribution.
- Making Sense In The Edge Of Chaos: A Framework For Effective Initial Response Efforts To Large-Scale Incidents.
- Measuring Disaster Preparedness In Emergency Medical Services.
- Filling The Gap Between NIMS And The Initial Law Enforcement Response In The Age Of The Urban Jihad.
- Enhancing FBI Terrorism And Homeland Security Information Sharing With State, Local And Tribal Agencies.