September 19, 2012

Resilience or Adaptability?

Filed under: General Homeland Security — by Philip J. Palin on September 19, 2012

Frazz is written and drawn by Jef Mallett.

In the face of challenges there are things that I can change.   When good can be preserved or retreived, may I be resilient.

In the case of some profound challenges, there are things I cannot preserve, or retrieve, or change.

May I have the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment by Claire B. Rubin

September 19, 2012 @ 6:42 am

It is hard to deal with the stubbornness, which often is accompanied by stupidity.

September 19, 2012 @ 7:28 am

Claire, I agree and… sometimes I envy the stubborn (but not stupid) ones. In many ways I am a very adaptable person and along the way I have mostly succeeded in preserving a kind of continuity by being adaptable. But I have also known those who have adapted less “successfully” even as they have preserved a kind of deeper integrity that can elude me. I think a lot has to do with what each of us and each of our communities define as having meaning and giving purpose. I perceive this has important implications from Plaquemines to Pakistan.

September 19, 2012 @ 8:37 am

There is rightousness and there is rightous indigination.

I feel rightous indignation at how the desert religions of the west continue to war on innocents while believing that somehow that is justified.

Whomever the leaders are of these religions they continue to sow the whirlwind and threaten all others on earth.

I am a believer in the religion known as GAIA! GAIA of course is Greek word for MOTHER EARTH!

Comment by Arnold Bogis

September 19, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

It’s a little fuzzy in my thinking, but being stubborn can sometimes be a very positive attribute.

Sometimes the stubborn ones see an important, if long-term, effort through to the end when conditions prompt the adaptable ones to abandon it for the new “hotness.”

Comment by Michael Brady

September 19, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

Stubbornness can be a virtue…if you’re right.

Stubbornness in the face of compelling evidence calls for flawed cognition, motivated reasoning, willful ignorance, or Claire describes it, stupidity.

Me, I stubbornly cling to the notion that we must strive be both resilient and adaptable. May we all fail gracefully, and adapt or die.

September 19, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

AS some wit stated “one man who is right is a majority”!

Maybe!

Comment by Claire B. Rubin

September 19, 2012 @ 5:56 pm

In disaster recovery we have seen many examples of stubborn communities and stubborn individuals.

Just because you own a house or property that your grandfather purchased many decades ago, and you want to perpetuate the family tradition in that location, I do not think that is adequate reason for ignoring or defying the objective truth that it is in a dangerous location.

Comment by Responsibility of WH Executive Leadership To Attend Daily Intel Meetings

September 21, 2012 @ 12:15 am

How dare this “Chicago city street slicker” and Ms. Hillary and NBC and the media in general as extention of the WH Press Office lie to We the People of these United States! The new United States of Obama Flag just unfurled is a direct insukt to our nation and People and especially all those in uniform who serve and have served ‘ol Glory from our begnnings when We fled King George III for a burdensome government imposing taxes and fees…

Treason I shout! Treason I shout! Resilience or Adaptability? We have obligation as citizenry to uphold our Judeo-Christian values, our Constitution and while these Islamic thugs tear our flag, let is be seen how the Rev Wright-Obama pulpit, this “Chicago-Hollywood-Washington Express” has now altered our flag with this new United States of Obama flag mocking ol ‘Glory!

Treason I shout! Congress has the Responsibility taken by oath to our beloved Republic to demand a Congressional hearing immediately to take a serious look at these past days when intel reports and information which the President prefers Las Vegas to his attendance and We have been lied to by even our own Ms. Hillary and the State Dept as these 911 attacks were planned and tonight we hear that Ms. Hillary and this “Chicago city street slicker” have paid Pakistani television some $70,000 to run their “apology” ad -

Treason We shout! Treason We shout!

Shame on you –

Oust these thugs! Run to the polls and throw these “beltway bandits” out for this country is now in so much crap and We, too shout, Treason!

Christopher Tingus