April 9, 2013

No Do Overs

Filed under: General Homeland Security — by Christopher Bellavita on April 9, 2013

Today’s post is from a Colorado firefighter named Jeff Cole.

Jeff created the video in response to a course assignment that asked him to reflect on “My place in the homeland security project, and the place of the homeland security project in my world.”

Watch the video. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better use of four minutes and nineteen seconds.

Comment by Dan O'Connor

April 9, 2013 @ 7:12 am

Truly well done…

April 9, 2013 @ 8:14 am

WOW! I only wish all those with power over our economic system, political system, and religious systems could be made to view it and talk about it!

What for example if there was a total ban on movie and TV shows that displayed violence against women and children or other innocents as their theme? Why do we allow these depictions to be a profit center?

A recent NY Times story on how a new strain has ocurred in American historians specifically CAPITALISM and its history in this country.

I always reflect on those two Scots who wrote about and recommended capitalism–David Hume and Adam Smith. Both worried, as have others, that greed might well end capitalism.

We know that many in the public safety and EM and HS arena have had their jobs ended even as this is written.

Comment by HGRATTAN

April 9, 2013 @ 8:14 am

Thank you. I will share with my class today. This is so ….

(Chris, imagine that, I am at a loss for words.)

Semper Paratus

Comment by John Esposito

April 9, 2013 @ 7:57 pm

Chris, first off I was sorry to hear of your loss by fire. I was glad to hear you and your family were not injured.
The video was excellent, and I have an observation. I believe the Firefighter first pictured with the red “8” on his helmet is Timmy Haskell, my collegue from FDNY Squad 18 who died on 9/11. I think Timmy would agree with message in the video.

I love the Watch, keep up the good work.

Comment by Sally Chapman

April 10, 2013 @ 10:48 am

Wow, the Whitehouse, every Governor and every member of Congress should have this as required viewing. As public servants we observe and serve humanity on a level like nonother. How poignant.

Comment by Michael Mealer

April 10, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

Outstanding. This needs to be an opening for all in-service training.
Many years ago I too experienced the ‘Aha! moment’ Jeff begins explaining at 1:11.
Viewing life through the fog of a police officer’s or firefighter’s eyes can distort our impression of the nature of the humanity we serve and diguise our own frailty. Reassessment clears the fog and helps regain focus on the nature of our calling and the unique and timely role we play in individual lives. Understanding the value of our actions helps us avoid the creeping haze and restores our humanity by supporting our worth.
Well done and inspirational. Thanks Jeff.

Comment by Chuck Eaneff

April 12, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

Well done. Thank you.

Comment by Ross Burke

April 13, 2013 @ 7:58 pm

Strong work Mr. Cole! And thank you Christopher Bellavita. Today I tried to access this piece from work (DHS/TSA) and found the URL was blocked. I reported it to our IT Dept. and while speaking to the IT Rep. realized the couple of references of profanity. I believe it a powerful enough piece as both a training and motivation tool that I want all my agency to see it.

So I posted it on our internal ‘IdeaFactory’ site. It may well be removed from the site and I may well end up with a suspension. And I’m good with that.

Comment by Benjamin Berg

April 14, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

Nicely done Jeff. Thanks to you and Chris for sharing with us.

Comment by Joyce

April 26, 2013 @ 11:07 am

This should be published on all of the news networks. I don’t know you Jeff but I truly respect your sincere confession of your feelings. God bless you and the USA. We have a long road ahead in order to achieve your thoughts and goals but I know we will make it with beautiful people like you. God bless you, your Family and everyone that works in streesfull jobs to protect all of us.

Comment by Captain Stacy Gerlich

October 1, 2013 @ 5:36 pm

Captain Jeffrey Cole,
As I expressed to you during our 18 months together in the CHDS program, your presentation is so heart felt and packed with messages that those of us in the field understand and resonate with. Thank you Dr. Bellavita for making this available to all.